Ready To Cut CNC Art

Company Logo

sblackburn

easterasscotiates.pngA company has asked for a simple metal sign to be made. I don't yet have a good program or skill level to create this text into DXF. Just wondering if anyone could help me out.

If you know what that font is it could be better. I couldn't find the font so I just traced the image.
easter.dxf.jpg

Attachments

You must be signed in to view attachments...
  • easter.dxf
    79.2 KB
Thanks Gary! Just on my phone checking out the site and saw your response. Im off till Tuesday so wont be able to open yhe file till then. Looks great though. Looking forward to being a member of this site! Ill let you know how it goes and my donation will follow! Thanks again.

Morning Gary, Thanks again for your considerable time. I've opened the file in my program and it looks like this. I will try and find out what font it is, and perhaps this might help? Or is it possible that my program couldn't import the file right?

ena.jpg

I opened it fine in Corel, but importing into Sheetcam went distorted as well, resaved as dxf in Corel, see how the one attached goes.
easterB.dxf.jpg

Attachments

• easterB.dxf
    336.2 KB
Just had the chance to look at it. Looks Great now, I'll be cutting it soon and donation WILL follow! Thanks again! Great site!

it came in ok for me but is drawn only 4.2" wide so would need to be scaled up before applying kerf compensation

easter-dxf.gif

You maybe made the same mistake as me.........when importing drawing, having scaling options set to metric rather than imperial - sorry!

View attachment 1219 Morning Gary, Thanks again for your considerable time. I've opened the file in my program and it looks like this. I will try and find out what font it is, and perhaps this might help? Or is it possible that my program couldn't import the file right? View attachment 1219

Thanks again to the both of you for your time. I only have a HVAC program at work which allows me to import dxf files and edit them a tad. The cad program that came with it is like a "ghetto AutoCAD" that's what the salesman told us, and he sure is right. I should invest in my own computer and Corel I'm thinking. I do have one more request. My customer would like a sign without a stencil look. Is there any chance someone could close the bridges on the letters and the & symbol?

Also on a side note how do I make donations? I'm uping my price on this project to make some more for all the help.

Once again Thanks!, looks great here but as soon as I open it in my program it distorts like before. I have no options to get around it. Any ideas? Is Corel the weapon of choice for design? SeanP, Think you could try what you did before if you have the time? Any help is greatly appreciated.

first you have to determine the size of the DXF

corel tells me it is 4.37 x 5.71

or you can look in the dxf file around line 26 and subtract extmin from extmax

the x extents are marked with arrows,

14.183 - 9.187 = 4.37 wide

the y extents are right after x extents

14.853 - 9.147 = 5.71 tall

scsf.jpg

once you know what size the DXF file is, you can scale it to any size you want

in sheetcam you have to scale it during import by using a custom scale factor

the dxf is in inches and sheetcam is based on metrics, so 1:25.4 custom scale factor is same as original size

if you put 1:100 custom scale factor then the new size will be

100/25.4 * 4.37 = 17.2 wide

100/25.4 * 5.71 = 22.48 tall

scsf.gif

which fits nicely on a 24 x 24 sheet, with plenty of room for kerf compensation, so it doesn't look all distorted

scsf2.jpg

I have tried quite a few drawing programs and like Coreldraw, it does take quite a bit of learning but no more than any others I suppose, some really good tutorials on youtube for it especially a guy called 'advancedteeshirts' he is very good.
Are you able to adjust the size of the dxf with what you have now? I just resized signtorches great work to 23 1/2'' wide and saved again in Corel, hope it helps.
Sean

Once again Thanks!, looks great here but as soon as I open it in my program it distorts like before. I have no options to get around it. Any ideas? Is Corel the weapon of choice for design? SeanP, Think you could try what you did before if you have the time? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• easter23.5inw.dxf
    1.1 MB
Thanks for the info Gary, I don't have those options with our cheap program the only option is to download dxf with imperial or metric. When Sean saves your files and reposts they turn out good when I open them and un distorted. Thanks to both of you for the information and help this project is my first commercial sign so hoping it goes well I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

for me, exporting DXF with splines from corel causes a number of problems

1) my dxf preview image maker doesn't read it right
2) the filesize is 5 times bigger than it was
3) it takes 10 times longer to import in sheetcam
4) distortion occurs in sheetcam

note the defects where the yellow arrows are - compare that to the original above

scsf4.jpg

when using sheetcam and corel draw, it works better to export dxf v10 from corel, sheetcam arc fits it and cleans it up, and does not incur the same defects, and my dxf preview image maker can read it correctly

scsf5.jpg scsf6.dxf.jpg

Attachments

• scsf6.dxf
    1.1 MB
Thanks for the info Gary, I don't have those options with our cheap program the only option is to download dxf with imperial or metric. When Sean saves your files and reposts they turn out good when I open them and un distorted. Thanks to both of you for the information and help this project is my first commercial sign so hoping it goes well I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

I misread the post by @SeanP and thought it was yours so I thought you were using sheetcam

I knew I should have stood back and watched there Gary, sorry if I confused the situation.
Learning some good tips there though thanks.

That is something I haven't quite got my head around yet:
Some drawings load better in sheetcam with V10 and some are better with the newest version, like this one below, arcs don't turn out smooth, think I still have quite a bit to learn yet!

By the way it's a great forum you have set up here, some great features as well, nice work!

NS2008-13.jpg

NSV10.jpg

Attachments

• NS V10.dxf
    77.7 KB
  • NS V2008-13.dxf
    186.5 KB
I've noticed that to, with sheetcam and my dxf preview image maker, sometimes splines work and sometimes not, splines are just a really strange curve form, I haven't been able to figure them out completely, and I can't find any good documentation,

I sure like the forum to, it's so easy to use, and it works good for graphics, I never expected it to turn out like it did, and it has awesome spam filtering, not one spammer has gotten past registration, I was worried about that.... and the classifieds section is really powerful, you can sell stuff, get paid, and rate sellers, and everything, once I finish 2013 series I will get back to developing the forum more

Thanks for all the help. The customer Appreciated it a lot! The pictures make the cut lines look rough, but it actually cut really great on the straights and curves. Thanks again!
EA1.JPG EA2.JPG

cool man, I don't get to cut much, so it means a lot to me to get to see pictures, and it looks excellent to me... thank you so much for sharing...

I will hope to soon post a bunch of pictures of all my cut projects. Most to all are cut using your designs. It is making my wife and I's house and farm look really unique. Do I put that into the Gallery or Showcase?

I will hope to soon post a bunch of pictures of all my cut projects. Most to all are cut using your designs. It is making my wife and I's house and farm look really unique. Do I put that into the Gallery or Showcase?

Gallery, it's easier and showcase will be removed soon - I was trying different things and showcase is redundant.

Back
Top Bottom